Who Benefits From a Strategic IT Roadmap
Wherever your business is heading, CodeBlue is there
An IT roadmap is the document that dictates specifically how technology is going to support your business strategy and help drive the business’s goals and priorities. In our strategic IT roadmap overview, we outlined how a good roadmap should have:
- A strategy statement
- A timeline of the initiatives and projects
- A prioritised list of improvement opportunities
- High-level justifications for each project
- The estimated cost and duration for each project
- An owner for each project.
The roadmap has three primary functions:
- The IT leader will use the roadmap to facilitate investment discussions with the rest of the company leadership.
- The IT department will use it to continuously improve planning for projects and resources.
- Leaders will use it to understand what is required from each department.
Who benefits from an IT roadmap?
The roadmap is designed to structure the communication between the technology department and leadership executives in a manner that allows the IT department to:
- Act strategically when making investment decisions and managing project goals.
- Earn buy-in from business users due to having a better-structured process.
- Negotiate with leaders or other departments who request new projects, processes, and initiatives that may require significant, non-operating effort.
The IT roadmap allows functional executives to be strategic when they request new technology or improvements and updates. They can use these strategies to work with IT leadership to determine which types of technology projects will be required to achieve the business’s goals.
A roadmap provides transparent resourcing needs for when business staff will need to be assigned to work on IT projects. The most important benefit is that it provide a clear, strategic, and structured manner of governing changes to business needs as they arise.
It makes sure that IT departments have a voice when decisions are made that require IT support. It also encourages balancing priorities across every area of the business, reducing conflict.
The roadmap clearly illustrates the importance of the projects that are being worked on. As roadmap goals are completed, moved, or reprioritised, it forces leadership to explain the reason behind the changes. A strategic roadmap encourages clear communication between all members of the team.
Why your business needs an IT roadmap
The business needs to fully participate in the IT development process. Communication and a clear strategy will make sure all goals are met across all departments of the company, both business- and technology-oriented.
IT Roadmaps are critical to your success. CodeBlue provides the best support services for IT companies in Auckland. If you would like to discuss the best ways to integrate IT Roadmaps into your business, or for any of your IT service needs, contact us today on 0508 IT SERVICE or email us here.
Your trusted partner in business transformation
At CodeBlue your business is our business, we work with you to ensure your tech grows as you do.
Get in touch today!